Are you considering a tankless water heater installation?
If so, you’re about to make a decision that could significantly improve your home’s energy efficiency and save you a considerable amount on your utility bills.
Also known as on-demand or instantaneous water heaters, they are becoming increasingly popular due to their numerous advantages over traditional water heaters. They are designed to provide hot water only when it’s needed, eliminating the need for a storage tank and, consequently, the energy losses associated with maintaining a tank full of hot water.
But what does a tankless water heater installation involve? And what are the benefits of going tankless? Let’s delve into these questions.
Photo By Douglas Cliff at Shutterstock
The Advantages of Going Tankless
Tankless water heaters come with a plethora of benefits that make them an attractive option for homeowners. Here are some of the key advantages:
- Energy Efficiency: Unlike traditional water heaters that continuously heat and reheat water to keep it at a set temperature, they heat water on demand. This means they only operate when hot water is needed, leading to significant energy savings.
- Continuous Supply of Hot Water: You’ll never run out of hot water. As long as there’s a demand for hot water, the unit will continue to heat incoming water, providing a continuous supply.
- Space Saving: On demand water heaters are compact and can be installed in small spaces, including closets and under cabinets. This is a significant advantage for homes with limited space.
- Long Lifespan: Typically lasting longer than traditional water heaters. With proper maintenance, a tankless unit can last up to 20 years or more, nearly double the lifespan of a traditional water heater.
- Reduced Risk of Water Damage: Since they don’t store water, the risk of water damage due to a leaking tank is eliminated.
- Better Water Quality: As traditional water heaters age, rust and scale can build up in the tank, which can contaminate the stored water. Water is heated on demand, so you always get fresh, clean water.
- Environmentally Friendly: By reducing energy consumption, they not only save you money but also help reduce your carbon footprint.
Understanding the Installation Process
The process of installing a tankless water heater is a complex task that requires a certain level of expertise. Here’s a step-by-step breakdown of what the process typically involves:
- Removal of the Old Water Heater: The first step in the installation process is to remove the existing water heater. This involves disconnecting the unit from the water and power supply and then carefully removing it from its location.
- Preparation of the Installation Site: Once the old unit has been removed, the next step is to prepare the site for the new water heater. This may involve creating a mounting space on the wall, ensuring there’s a proper venting system in place, and setting up the necessary plumbing connections.
- Mounting the Unit: It is then mounted on the wall in the prepared space. It’s crucial to ensure the unit is securely mounted to prevent any potential damage.
- Connecting the Water and Gas Lines: After the unit is mounted, the next step is to connect it to the water and gas lines. This involves attaching the water supply lines to the unit and connecting the gas supply line if it’s a gas-powered unit.
- Testing the Unit: Once everything is connected, the final step is to test the unit to ensure it’s working correctly. This involves turning on the water and power supply and checking for any leaks or issues.
Photo By Ivan Kruk at Shutterstock
The Role of Professional Plumbers in Installation
While it might be tempting to attempt a DIY installation, it’s best to leave this job to the professionals. Here’s why:
- Expertise and Experience: Professional plumbers have the necessary training and experience to carry out the installation correctly and safely. They understand the intricacies of the process and can handle any unexpected issues that may arise.
- Safety: Installing an on-demand water heater involves dealing with water and gas lines, which can be dangerous if not handled correctly. Professionals have the knowledge to handle these elements safely.
- Proper Tools and Equipment: Professional plumbers have access to the right tools and equipment needed for the installation, which ensures the job is done efficiently and correctly.
- Time and Convenience: Hiring a professional plumber saves you time and effort. They can complete the installation quickly, allowing you to enjoy your new water heater without any hassle.
- Warranty Protection: Most water heaters come with a manufacturer’s warranty that may become void if the unit is not installed by a licensed professional. By hiring a professional plumber, you ensure your warranty remains intact.
While a DIY installation might seem like a way to save money, the potential risks and issues that can arise make it a less desirable option. Hiring a professional plumber for your tankless water heater installation ensures the job is done safely and correctly, giving you peace of mind and allowing you to enjoy the benefits of your new water heater without any worries.
The Cost and Return on Investment of Tankless Water Heaters
When considering a tankless water heater installation, it’s essential to understand the costs involved and the potential return on investment. Here’s a detailed look at these aspects:
- Upfront Costs: The initial cost of an on-demand water heater is higher than that of a traditional tank model. This cost includes the price of the unit itself and the installation charges. The exact cost can vary depending on the brand, model, and the complexity of the installation.
- Operating Costs: These are more energy-efficient than traditional models, which means they cost less to operate. They heat water on demand, so they don’t use energy to maintain a tank of hot water. This can lead to significant savings on your energy bills.
- Maintenance Costs: While they require less maintenance than traditional models, they still need regular check-ups to ensure they’re operating efficiently. The cost of this maintenance is relatively low and can be offset by the unit’s longevity and efficiency.
- Lifespan and Return on Investment: These water heaters have a longer lifespan than traditional models – often up to 20 years or more. This means that while the upfront cost is higher, the investment pays off over time. When you factor in the energy savings and the longer lifespan, the return on investment for a tankless water heater can be quite significant.
Photo By Andrey_Popov at Shutterstock
Energy Efficiency of Tankless Water Heaters
One of the main benefits of tankless water heaters is their energy efficiency. Here’s a closer look at how they save energy:
- On-Demand Heating: On-demand water heaters heat water directly without the use of a storage tank. When a hot water tap is turned on, cold water travels through a pipe into the unit, where it’s heated by an electric element or gas burner. This means that they only use energy when hot water is needed, leading to significant energy savings.
- No Standby Energy Losses: Traditional tank heaters store hot water in a tank, which requires constant energy to maintain the water’s temperature. This leads to standby energy losses. With on-demand water heaters, there’s no storage tank and therefore no standby energy losses.
- Lower Energy Bills: Due to their energy efficiency, they can help lower your energy bills. The amount of savings can vary depending on your household’s hot water usage, but on average, a on-demand water heater can be 24%–34% more energy-efficient than conventional storage tank water heaters for homes that use 41 gallons or less of hot water daily.
While the initial cost of a tankless water heater is higher, the energy savings, longer lifespan, and lower maintenance costs make it a worthwhile investment. By choosing a on-demand water heater, you’re not only making a choice that’s good for your wallet but also for the environment.
The Lifespan of Tankless Water Heaters
When it comes to the lifespan, they are designed to outlast traditional water heaters by a significant margin. Here’s what you need to know:
- Longevity: Tankless water heaters are built to last. With proper maintenance, they can provide hot water for your home for up to 20 years or more. This is nearly twice as long as traditional tank water heaters, which typically last 10 to 15 years.
- Maintenance: The key to extending the lifespan is regular maintenance. This includes descaling the unit to remove any mineral buildup, checking the venting system, and inspecting the unit for any potential issues. Regular maintenance not only extends the lifespan of the unit but also ensures it operates at peak efficiency.
- Quality of Components: The longevity of on-demand water heaters can also be attributed to the quality of their components. They are made with high-quality materials that are designed to withstand the rigors of continuous heating and cooling cycles.
- Warranty: Most on-demand water heaters come with a warranty that covers the heat exchanger and other components. The warranty can range from 5 to 15 years, depending on the manufacturer and model.
Safety Features of Tankless Water Heaters
On-demand water heaters are not just efficient and long-lasting; they are also designed with several safety features to ensure safe operation. Here are some of the safety features you can expect:
- Temperature Control: on-demand water heaters come with built-in temperature controls that allow you to set the desired hot water temperature. This feature prevents scalding and ensures that the water is always at a safe temperature.
- Overheat Protection: Most water heaters have an overheat protection feature that shuts off the unit if the water temperature exceeds a safe limit.
- Flame Failure Protection: For gas-powered on-demand water heaters, there’s a flame failure protection feature that shuts off the gas supply if the flame goes out unexpectedly.
- Air Supply and Exhaust Blockage Protection: This feature shuts off the unit if the air supply or exhaust pathway is blocked, preventing any potential damage or unsafe operating conditions.
- Leak Detection: Some on-demand water heaters come with a leak detection feature that shuts off the water supply if a leak is detected, preventing water damage.
- Advanced Sensors and Diagnostic Systems: on-demand water heaters are equipped with advanced sensors and diagnostic systems that monitor the unit’s operation and alert you to any potential issues.
These water heaters offer a host of benefits, from energy efficiency and longevity to safety features. They are a worthwhile investment for any homeowner looking to upgrade their home’s hot water system.
Photo By Africa Studio at Shutterstock
Maintenance and Repair of Tankless Water Heaters
Like any appliance, on-demand water heaters require regular maintenance to ensure they continue to operate efficiently and have a long lifespan. Here’s a breakdown of the key maintenance tasks:
- Descaling: Over time, minerals in the water can build up inside the unit, affecting its efficiency. Descaling involves flushing the unit with a descaling solution to remove these deposits. This should be done annually or as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Checking the Venting System: The venting system should be checked regularly to ensure it’s clear of any obstructions. Any blockages can affect the unit’s performance and could potentially be a safety hazard.
- Inspecting for Potential Issues: Regular inspections can help identify any potential issues before they become major problems. This includes checking for leaks, inspecting the heat exchanger for any signs of damage, and ensuring all electrical connections are secure.
- Filter Cleaning: Some on-demand water heaters have inlet screen filters that need to be cleaned regularly to prevent blockages.
- Professional Maintenance: While some maintenance tasks can be done by the homeowner, it’s recommended to have a professional plumber perform an annual maintenance check. They have the expertise to thoroughly inspect and service the unit, ensuring it’s in top condition.
Choosing the Right Tankless Water Heater for Your Home
When choosing, several factors need to be considered to ensure you select the right unit for your needs. Here are some key considerations:
- Size of Your Home: The size of your home and the number of bathrooms can determine the size and type of on-demand water heater you need. Larger homes or homes with multiple bathrooms may require a larger unit or multiple units.
- Number of People in Your Home: The number of people living in your home and your typical water usage can also influence the type of water heater you need. More people means more hot water usage, which may require a larger unit.
- Energy Source: On-demand water heaters can be powered by electricity, natural gas, or propane. The energy source available in your home can determine the type of unit you choose.
- Climate: The temperature of the incoming water can affect the unit’s performance. In colder climates, the unit has to work harder to heat the water to the desired temperature.
- Professional Consultation: Our technicians at Clarksburg Plumbing can provide a professional consultation to help you determine the right unit for your needs. They can assess your home’s hot water demand and recommend the best on-demand water heater to meet your needs.
Regular maintenance is crucial to keep your on-demand water heater operating efficiently and to extend its lifespan. And when it comes to choosing a new unit, professional advice can be invaluable to ensure you make the right choice for your home.
The Appeal of Tankless Water Heaters: A Superior Option
The shift towards on-demand water heaters has been gaining momentum among homeowners in recent times. This trend isn’t merely a fad; it’s a reflection of the tangible benefits that tankless, or on-demand, water heaters bring to the table. They offer a host of advantages that make them a more appealing choice compared to traditional tank-style water heaters. Here are some compelling reasons why homeowners are opting for tankless water heaters:
1. Uninterrupted Hot Water Supply: A standout feature of is their ability to deliver hot water on demand. Traditional water heaters store a finite amount of hot water in a tank, which can run out. In contrast, on-demand water heaters heat water as needed, ensuring you never run out of hot water.
2. Superior Energy Efficiency: Tankless water heaters excel in energy efficiency. They heat water only when required, significantly reducing energy usage. Traditional water heaters, on the other hand, continuously heat water to keep the tank at a set temperature, leading to energy wastage. By opting for a on-demand water heater, you can lower your energy bills and contribute to environmental sustainability.
3. Compact and Space-Saving: On-demand water heaters are compact and can be wall-mounted, freeing up valuable floor space in your home. This is a considerable advantage, especially for those living in smaller homes or apartments where space is a premium.
4. Extended Lifespan: On average, on-demand water heaters outlast traditional water heaters. With appropriate maintenance, these can serve you for up to 20 years or more, nearly double the lifespan of a traditional water heater. This means less frequent replacements, saving you money in the long run.
5. Enhances Home Value: Installing a on-demand water heater can boost your home’s value. Many prospective homebuyers today are seeking energy-efficient homes, and a tankless water heater is a desirable feature. If you plan to sell your home in the future, a this type of water heater can be a unique selling point that distinguishes your home.
6. Promotes Water Conservation: With a on-demand water heater, there’s no waiting for the water to heat up, saving a significant amount of water over time and contributing to water conservation efforts.
7. Built-in Safety Features: On-demand water heaters come equipped with built-in safety features, such as temperature controls and sensors that prevent overheating. These features make on-demand water heaters a safer choice for your home.
Tankless water heaters are a superior choice for a multitude of reasons. They offer an uninterrupted supply of hot water, superior energy efficiency, space-saving benefits, an extended lifespan, and enhanced home value. They also promote water conservation and come with built-in safety features. If you’re contemplating a new water heater for your home, a on-demand water heater is a choice worth considering. At Clarksburg Plumbing, we’re here to assist you in making the best decision for your home and your needs. Contact us today to learn more about tankless water heaters.
The Environmental Impact of Tankless Water Heaters
Tankless water heaters are not just good for your wallet; they’re also good for the environment. Here’s how:
- Reduced Energy Consumption: On-demand water heaters heat water on demand, which means they only use energy when hot water is needed. This reduces energy consumption compared to traditional water heaters, which continuously heat water to maintain a set temperature.
- Lower Carbon Footprint: By using less energy, on-demand water heaters contribute to lower carbon emissions. This helps reduce your carbon footprint and contributes to a more sustainable future.
- Less Waste: Tankless water heaters have a longer lifespan than traditional models, which means less waste ends up in landfills. Additionally, many parts of are recyclable, further reducing waste.
- Water Conservation: With an on-demand water heater, there’s no waiting for the water to heat up, which can save a significant amount of water over time.
Photo By Maridav at Shutterstock
Case Study: A Successful Tankless Water Heater Installation
At Clarksburg Plumbing, we’ve had the privilege of helping countless homeowners improve their lives by switching to tankless water heaters. One such story that stands out is that of the Johnson family, a family of four living in a charming three-bedroom house nestled in the suburbs.
The Johnsons were a typical family with typical needs. But there was one thing that was causing them constant frustration – their traditional water heater. It seemed like every time they needed hot water, the supply would run out. Morning showers were a race against time, and the idea of running the dishwasher and washing machine simultaneously was out of the question. To add to their woes, their energy bills were skyrocketing, and they knew they needed to find a solution.
That’s when they reached out to us. Our team at Clarksburg Plumbing listened to their concerns and understood their needs. We knew that a tankless water heater would be the perfect solution for them. It would not only meet their hot water demand but also help reduce their energy bills.
After a thorough assessment of the Johnsons’ home and their hot water usage, we recommended a gas-powered tankless water heater. The Johnsons were initially apprehensive about the change, but we assured them that it would be a decision they wouldn’t regret.
The installation day arrived, and our team worked diligently to install the new tankless water heater. The old, bulky water heater was removed, and in its place, the sleek, compact tankless unit was installed. The Johnsons watched in anticipation as we completed the installation and turned on the unit for the first time.
The result was nothing short of a revelation for the Johnson family. They now had a continuous supply of hot water, even during peak usage times. No more racing against time in the mornings, no more choosing between the dishwasher and the washing machine. But the benefits didn’t stop there. When the next energy bill arrived, they saw a significant drop in their energy consumption. In fact, their energy bills dropped by 20% after the installation.
The Johnsons were overjoyed with the result. The comfort and convenience in their home had improved dramatically, and they were also making a positive impact on the environment by reducing their energy consumption.
This case study is just one example of how a tankless water heater can transform a home. If you’re considering a tankless water heater installation, our team at Clarksburg Plumbing is here to help. We can assess your needs and recommend the best solution for your home. Let us help you write your own success story.
Common Questions About Tankless Water Heater Installation
We understand that making the switch to a tankless water heater can bring up a lot of questions. Here are some of the most common questions we get asked, along with our answers:
1. What is a tankless water heater?
A tankless water heater, also known as an on-demand water heater, heats water directly without the use of a storage tank. When a hot water tap is turned on, cold water travels through a pipe into the unit, where it’s heated by an electric element or gas burner.
2. How does a tankless water heater work?
A tankless water heater works by heating water on demand. When you turn on a hot water tap, the water flows through a heat exchanger in the unit, which heats the water to the desired temperature. This means you only use energy to heat water when you need it, making tankless water heaters more energy-efficient than traditional models.
3. What are the benefits of a tankless water heater?
There are several benefits to installing a tankless water heater. These include continuous hot water, lower energy bills due to increased efficiency, a longer lifespan compared to traditional water heaters, and space-saving due to their compact size.
4. How much does it cost to install a tankless water heater?
The cost of installing a tankless water heater can vary depending on several factors, including the type of unit, the complexity of the installation, and your location. On average, the cost can range from $1,000 to $3,000, including the unit and installation.
5. Can I install a tankless water heater myself?
While it’s possible to install a tankless water heater yourself, we strongly recommend hiring a professional. The installation involves handling gas, electricity, and water lines, which can be dangerous if not done correctly. A professional plumber has the training and experience to ensure the installation is done safely and correctly.
6. How long does a tankless water heater last?
With proper maintenance, a tankless water heater can last up to 20 years or more, nearly twice as long as traditional tank water heaters.
7. How often does a tankless water heater need maintenance?
It’s recommended to have your tankless water heater serviced once a year by a professional. Regular maintenance can extend the lifespan of the unit and ensure it operates at peak efficiency.
8. What size tankless water heater do I need?
The size of the tankless water heater you need depends on your home’s hot water demand. This is determined by the number of bathrooms and appliances that use hot water in your home. A professional can help you determine the right size for your needs.
9. Are tankless water heaters environmentally friendly?
Yes, tankless water heaters are more environmentally friendly than traditional models. They use less energy, which reduces carbon emissions. They also last longer, which means less waste ends up in landfills.
10. Where can I get a tankless water heater installed?
At Clarksburg Plumbing, we offer professional tankless water heater installation services. Our team can assess your needs and recommend the best tankless water heater for your home. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.
Why Choose Clarksburg Plumbing for Your Installation
When it comes to tankless water heater installation, the choice of who to trust with this important task can make all the difference. At Clarksburg Plumbing, we pride ourselves on our commitment to quality, professionalism, and customer satisfaction. Here are some reasons why you should choose us for your tankless water heater installation:
1. Expertise and Experience: With years of experience in the plumbing industry, our team of professionals has the knowledge and skills to handle any installation task. We understand the intricacies of tankless water heaters and are well-versed in the best installation practices to ensure optimal performance and longevity.
2. Quality Products: We believe in using only the best products for our customers. That’s why we choose to install top-quality tankless water heaters that are known for their reliability, efficiency, and advanced features. These units are designed to provide you with endless hot water while reducing your energy consumption and lowering your utility bills.
3. Comprehensive Services: Our services don’t stop at installation. We also offer regular maintenance and repair services to ensure your tankless water heater continues to operate at peak efficiency throughout its lifespan. Regular maintenance can help prevent potential issues, extend the life of your unit, and keep it running smoothly.
4. Customer Satisfaction: At Clarksburg Plumbing, customer satisfaction is our top priority. We strive to provide exceptional service at every step of the process, from the initial consultation to the installation and beyond. We listen to your needs, answer your questions, and work diligently to ensure you’re completely satisfied with our services.
5. Licensed and Insured: We are a fully licensed and insured company, which means you can trust us to provide professional, reliable services. Our team of technicians is trained and certified to handle all aspects of tankless water heater installation.
6. Transparent Pricing: We believe in transparent pricing with no hidden fees. Before we begin any work, we provide a detailed estimate so you know exactly what to expect. We strive to provide affordable, competitive pricing without compromising on quality.
7. Respect for Your Home: We understand that your home is your sanctuary, and we treat it with the utmost respect. Our technicians wear shoe covers, use drop cloths, and clean up after themselves to ensure your home is as clean as when we arrived.
8. Punctuality: We respect your time and strive to provide prompt, efficient services. Our motto is, “If there’s any delay, it’s you we pay.” If we’re late for your appointment, we pay you $5.00 for each minute we’re late, up to $300.00.
9. 24/7 Availability: We understand that plumbing issues can arise at any time, which is why we offer 24/7 emergency services. Whether it’s a weekend, holiday, or the middle of the night, you can count on us to be there when you need us.
10. Local Presence: As a local business, we understand the unique needs of our community. We’re not just your service providers; we’re your neighbors. We take pride in serving our local community and strive to contribute positively to our local economy.
In conclusion, choosing Clarksburg Plumbing for your tankless water heater installation ensures that your unit will be in good hands from the time of installation through the life of the unit. We’re committed to providing you with the best service possible, and we won’t rest until you’re completely satisfied. Contact us today to schedule your tankless water heater installation.
Photo By Volodymyr TVERDOKHLIB at Shutterstock
As we’ve explored in this comprehensive guide, tankless water heater installation is a significant step towards improving your home’s energy efficiency, reducing your utility bills, and ensuring a continuous supply of hot water. But the decision to switch to a tankless water heater comes with many considerations.
We started by understanding the advantages of going tankless, which include on-demand hot water, energy efficiency, and a longer lifespan compared to traditional water heaters. We then delved into the installation process and the crucial role professional plumbers play in ensuring a safe and correct installation.
We discussed the cost and return on investment of tankless water heaters, highlighting that while the upfront cost may be higher, the long-term savings and benefits make it a worthwhile investment. We also touched on the energy efficiency of these units and how they contribute to lower utility bills and a reduced carbon footprint.
We explored the lifespan of tankless water heaters, their built-in safety features, and the importance of regular maintenance and repair. We also provided guidance on choosing the right tankless water heater for your home, considering factors such as the size of your home, the number of people living in it, and your typical water usage.
We discussed the environmental impact of tankless water heaters and how they contribute to a more sustainable future. We also shared a case study of a successful tankless water heater installation by our team at Clarksburg Plumbing, demonstrating the tangible benefits one can expect from making the switch.
In the FAQ section, we answered some of the most common questions about tankless water heater installation, providing further clarity on this topic. Finally, we highlighted why Clarksburg Plumbing is the ideal choice for your tankless water heater installation, emphasizing our expertise, quality products, comprehensive services, and commitment to customer satisfaction.
In conclusion, a tankless water heater is a valuable addition to any home. It offers numerous benefits, including energy efficiency, cost savings, and the convenience of continuous hot water. At Clarksburg Plumbing, we’re here to guide you through the process, from choosing the right unit to professional installation and ongoing maintenance.
Are you ready to enjoy the benefits of a tankless water heater? Contact us today to schedule your installation. And if you have any further questions or thoughts on tankless water heater installation, we’d love to hear from you.
What’s holding you back from making the switch to a tankless water heater? Let’s continue the conversation in the comments section below.
Check out our customer reviews here.
Check out our previous blog here.